1. Since her inception in 1995, Bangladesh Coast Guard has been striving hard in policing vast sea area, estuaries and internal waterways of Bangladesh. The relentless effort of her members made this newly formed tiny force capable to curb illegal activities substantially through effective enforcement of law in the maritime domain within short time. The nation is proud of this institution which is maintaining her vibrant presence in our maritime area of interest through rigorous and multidimensional activities. Inarguably, this is an outstanding achievement by any measure.
2. Universally, the role of Coast Guard is diverse, highly demanding and pervasive and Bangladesh Coast Guard is no exception to this. She is discharging her responsibilities with utmost sincerity, and dedication. Her activities are primarily directed towards ensuring unhindered sea trade which is the life-line of our country. In addition, she is working hard to ensure safety of the sea users, specially the fisherman in the coastal areas. Besides, she has made enormous contribution in preventing smuggling and drug trafficking through sea as well as providing security to the sea and forest resources. Bangladesh Coast Guard’s achievement in protecting small Hilsha fry named Jatka is being hailed by the government and the general mass. The force is endeavoring laboriously to abolish dacoity in the Sunderbans and preserve the sanctuary of the world heritage’ Similarly, country’s major hub of economic activities i.e. the chittagong and Mongla ports have been made almost free of so called ‘piracy’ restoring the confidence of all users of the ports, specially the foreign ships.
3. We are grateful to the Government of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh for kindly acknowledging our contributions and for attaching greater emphasis to strengthen this force. We also deeply appreciate the sincere efforts of some friendly nations and organizations who have shown keen interest in assisting this force and becoming a partner in our development.
4. I sincerely acknowledge the contribution of all members of Bangladesh Coast Guard who have laid down their lives during the performance of their duties. They have made the supreme sacrifice while serving the cause of the nation in the highest tradition of the service.
5. I humbly urge upon all members of Bangladesh Coast Guard to put up their best while discharging their duties and display profound spirit of patriotism. I am sure, with our united efforts, Bangladesh Coast Guard shall be able to accomplish the sacred tasks of Maritime Stewardship’ in our Maritime domain at all times.
May the Almighty Allah bless us all.
Rear Admiral K S Hossain, (TAS) (CD), ncc, psc Director General Bangladesh Coast Guard